King’s Bruton is an HMC boarding and day school educating 331 boys and girls aged 13 to 18. Of these, 208 are boys and 123 girls, while 219 are boarders and 112 day pupils. There are 53 members of the academic staff. The most recent Ofsted and ISI inspections rated the school’s education as ‘outstanding’ and ‘excellent’ respectively. Significant strengths include the school’s size, recent academic results, and renowned pastoral care. The school has a nationally acknowledged record of adding value to each child’s performance in the classroom. There are seven boarding Houses – four for boys, three for girls – in which boarders and day pupils are fully integrated. The school’s hockey teams have reached national finals, there are over 60 pupils in the full choir, the chapel choir sing Evensong in regional cathedrals, while the 200-seat theatre is the venue for outstanding drama.
King’s School was founded in 1519 as a school attached to Bruton Abbey. When Henry VIII dissolved the Abbey in 1539, the school ceased to function. However, in response to a petition from the people of Bruton, King Edward VI restored the school’s endowments on 1 May 1550, and by his Royal Charter, a Board of Governors was established to administer it. In the 19th century King’s benefited from the headship of the Revd J.C.J. Hoskyns-Abrahall, Headmaster 1826–1864. During the 20th century there was a considerable expansion in the number of pupils, reaching over 300 by the 1950s, a level at which it has stayed. A significant development in the past 50 years has been the entry of girl pupils, beginning in 1969 when girls were welcomed into the Sixth Form, with full co-education arriving in 1997.
Ian Wilmshurst, Headmaster
Gareth Evans, Deputy Headmaster (Alison Grant will be Deputy Head from September 2015)
Camilla Oulton, Registrar
Charles Oulton, Media Manager
Main phone number (to contact all the above): 01749 814 200